Friday, February 11, 2011

The ups and downs of January and some verbal diarrhea

Promised to update against my 2011 goals as I go along so here we are. January was pretty good. The highlight was a 2nd in the 40k for $6k. Also had a 2nd and 3rd in the 10k plus two 7th in the 40k. On the down side I took a shot at a few bigger buy in games and missed, including a live trip to DTD for the Monthly £300 deepstack and a couple of attempts at the weekly $500 high roller on Ongame.

At the DTD game I went on a massive heater early on but managed to squander a 40k stack by the end of day 1 in some bizarre hands. At one point I was sat next to a reasonably well known professional poker player/coach/commentator. I'm not going to name names but I have never heard so much crap talked in all my life.. There were also some really dubious plays from him, backed up by more bollox analysis for all the table to digest I've played once before with the name in question back in 2006 at the CPC in St Kitts and I remember thinking similar things then.

I'm not one to criticise the way people play, but when they insist on vocally dissecting every hand badly for the benefit of the whole table and then charge people for coaching then it's fair game i think.


I did break one of my rules already and play a little cash. It went very well until i spunked it all up the wall, so slap on the hand for that one. OPR has me at $7600+ for the month but after cash game and live buyins (plus i tend to go a little wild on the rebuy front sometimes and OPR just works on a rebuy average) it was prob more like $6k up for the month. Last week in Jan I decided to sack it and go skiing.... much more fun than poker.



Almost forgot... picked up a ticket to the London Betfair live game this coming weekend as well.... not sure why BF keep putting on live games where the buyin is about 50% of any expense you will have to shell out but we'll head down to the big smoke tomorrow and sink a few beers and see what happens.

No comments: